Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Ahhhh, yesterday....

Oh my gosh, what a freakin' day!!  We knew "most" of what the day was going to entail, but not everything!  It started out dropping the kids off with Googa around 7 then driving into Boston for my 8:30 pre-op appointment.  A lot of paper work, waiting, getting blood drawn and stuff like that.  While I was in the office, my neurosurgeon's assistant called looking for me, which I thought was weird, and told me that the doctor wanted to see me, so to come by after the pre-op.  This made me nervous!  But, she really just wanted to go over a few things and see how I was holding up.  Actually, a really nice and comforting move on her part.  I was happy to see her and to see how concerned she is for  me and my family.  She really is a great doctor: professional, smart and compassionate all in one.  And not a sugar coater.  I don't like that!


So after that meeting, we went to the admitting office to get admitted for an outpatient surgery so they could place another IVC filter to prevent any blood clots getting up to my lungs during or after my surgery, since I can't be on blood thinners for any of that time.  The procedure went perfect, that surgeon is also the sweetest man ever!  He had done the previous one, and removed it as well so he knows me very well by now!  I mentioned to him how the last IVC filter hurt that night and eventually dulled, but the pain went away completely after he removed it.  He was surprised cause its not supposed to cause any pain at all, except for maybe a the site where they put it in, but decided to place it in a slightly different spot.


So I got released, got the kids and was home around 8.  Right around then, I started getting wicked pain in my torso!  Like jabbing, excruciating pain.  It got worse when I laid down flat, but didn't go away when I was sitting up either.  I can handle pain really well, but this was riducuous!!  We called the attending doctor and he told me to come into the ER right away cause that isn't supposed to happen.  We got my mom to come sleep over and went back into Boston and spent the night in the ER.  Until 6 in the morning!!  They did some tests, ruled bleeding, dislodging and puncturing organs out and gave me pain meds.  It took forever.  And in the end, we went home with two scripts and a "I don't know why this is happening to you, but its not supposed to so call your surgeon in the morning and see what he has to say" diagnoses!  Oh thanks!


So that's what I did.  He was so concerned with it all and thinks that because there isn't that much fat around my waist (see, I love him!) that the filter might be touching nerves on my spine causing the pain.  Today its better, but it's still there.  So he said to play it out until the morning and see what it feels like and then we will decide if we should take it out.  It really shouldn't be taken out, cause it is pretty necessary to have it in for both surgery's.  So hopefully it will keep feeling better.

But what a day!!!!  The longest day ever!!  But, we made it through.  One step at a time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment