Friday, July 22, 2011

Health Update

Nothing really that exciting, but might as well journal whats going on so that later in life, I can remember. So, the past few weeks have been ridiculously busy/stressful/hard. What ever word you want to use, its been that! I have been in and out of the hospital 3 times in the past 5 weeks with doctors appointments coming up more times then ever before. This past week, I have had some testing that is necessary to decide the next step in what we hope will be the treatment for my life long epilepsy. On Monday I was released from the hospital, just in time to make it to a neuro psych test that was to take place one street over in the Longwood area of Boston. The test was scheduled for 9am, and even with my release procedures being expedited, I still didn't make it in until about 1:00. The doctor was just happy that I was able to make it in. The test was about 5 hours long and sort of a memory/IQ sort of test. I don't know the exact reason for this test, except that it will show what part of my brain works up to par and what areas may seem to be slower (although I don't have a learning disability as that sort of sounded like!) The people were super nice and the test was sort of fun, as odd as that sounds. Hopefully the result report will be back to my doctor on the quick side.

So after that test, we finally got the babies back, but after increasing some new meds that day, I got super sick that night and on and off for the next few days. I think it was my body just getting use to the new dose. I "seem" to be doing fine with them now (a smaller dose).

On Thursday was my big day of testing. Mark and I left the kids with my mother in law around 7 that morning, dove in to Charlestown and spent the day there until around 5:30. The first test was called a MEG test, in which they put a cap of 70 electrode leads on my head and slid me into a sort of MRI-like machine and asked me questions in there, which I answered by pressing buttons. The test took 3 hours (good thing I peed first!!) but they were able to find the area which was of concern. This machine only exists in 20 other locations in the US and at this location is only run twice a week, for only 2 patients each week. The next test was an interactive MRI, where I was slide into an MRI machine had to do things such as look at words or pictures and answer questions about them with buttons. This was super loud and super uncomfortable, but the 2 hours seemed to go by fast. The final test was called a 7 Tesla MRI which is so new that it has not even been approved for clinical use, but takes amazing pictures of the brain in depth, the most intricate pictures that have ever been seen of the brain. There are only a handful of these machines in the US (only one in MA) and is only run once a month. So, I feel very lucky to be one of a very small amount of people who's case is believed to benifit by using this machine. Obviously, now we are going through a waiting game for the reports for all of the tests to be completed, but I really, really hope that they find something that will be helpful in my case. The doctor even said, we are like the opposite of what others want. Most patients do not want to find something on there brain because it can sometimes lead to sickness or the like, while in my case, we (us and the doctors) actually want to find something wrong because that means it may be able to be removed through surgery and potentially cure me of my issues. I hope that this will be the case!!!!!!!! I have been given such a positive outlook from my doctor that things will be fixed that I am running on her opinion. Please, if you are reading this and it is your "thing" to pray or wish positive thoughts for people, please add my family to your list. My life has been put on hold for the time being and it is wearing us out. I just want it done so all my energy and positive personality can be put back into what I want it to be put into: my kids, my family, and my friends. I miss them and want them back. Thanks for listening (or whatever reading a blog does! :)

And I promise, pics of the babies will return soon enough!!!

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJuly 28, 2011

    Stay strong Stace! You are in my positive thoughts! Love you!

    ReplyDelete