Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Birth Story


Let me first re-cap on what happened that day: I went into the hospital with Mark on January 21st at 9am. Well, that was when we were supposed to be there! After being stuck in traffic for a while we got there at 10:30! Oops, the most important moment of my life, and I was late! After being checked in, we went into the delivery room and got set up. I changed into the johnny and they strapped the monitors on to my big belly. We could hear the heart beat which sounded like a running horse! They hooked me up to the IV with pitocin in it, which is a drug that induces labor. From the beginning I was about 3 cms dialated and 75% effaced. After the medicine, though, things slowly got better. My family and Marks family arrived shortly after us and hung out in the waiting room the entire time. Things were pretty uneventful for awhile and we were able to take some naps and walk out to the waiting room to see everyone. At around 3, my sister Tina went for an ultrasound appointment at the same hospital and found out she was having a boy! She stayed with me through out the rest of the delivery. At around 5, the family went out to dinner, leaving Mark and I behind. While they were gone, the doctor broke my water and the contractions started getting much more intense! After being informed Tina got so worried, she stood up at the table and yelled "Stacey's in labor!" and flew back to the hospital. i thought that was pretty funny!

The contractions hurt so bad I decided that I wanted the epidural. They came in to give me that about an hour later. People say the epidural hurts a real lot, but I didn't think so! I got an electric shock feeling down my leg, which is normal, but other then that nothing hurt to much. After that, I couldn't feel the contractions and was able to rest a little bit more. A few times, the pain started to come back and the epidural had to be re-filled. It was weird to see on the monitor that I was having a huge contraction, but I couldn't feel it at all! I couldn't even move my legs! It was great! At around midnight, we decided it was time to start pushing. Mark held one leg, and Tina held the other. I felt the pressure of the contractions, but not the pain. Each time I had one, I pushed a few times for 10 seconds each. Mark and Tina were great coaches and were really excited to see all that was going on! i had really bad heartburn and halfway through I started to feel nauseous and eventually I get sick. After that, though, I felt great and 2 pushes later Cameron Andrew was born! It was 1:51 AM on January 22, 2009.

They whisked him away to clean him up and check him out to make sure everything was ok. And it was! Mark was the first to see him and I could just tell he was already in love with him! I kept asking, "Is he cute? Is he OK?". After a few minutes, the nurses handed him to Mark and he brought him over to me. He was all wrapped up and the most beautiful baby I had ever seen! He had my heart already and he was only a few minutes old! He hardly cried and his eyes were so wide open! He was just looking at his parents and around at his new world. I couldn't believe that I had been growing THIS in my belly for almost 10 months! It seemed unfathomable to me!


Soon the family took turns coming in. Everyone cried! They were all in agreement: he was the most beautiful baby they had ever seen! It was alot of work, through the pregnancy and the labor and even though I only had him for a few short hours at that point, I knew that I never wanted to loose him. He was the new thing that was now my life. I felt a new love that I had never felt before. I never wanted him to get bigger, yet my brain was flying through all the things that I had to look forward to as he grew. Looking back at that joyous day, it makes me sad to know that I will never have that moment again! Every day, every minute, that goes by is gone forever. I need to cherish the memories that everyday brings and take time to show him the huge amount of love that I have felt for him since he was born. I love him so much and even at 2 hours old, I knew that I didn't want anything about him to change. He's my baby boy and will be forever!

Our first picture as a family :)


No comments:

Post a Comment