Monday, July 2, 2012

No Kids Night Out!

The title makes it sound like Mark and I had a steamy date night or something. Not so much, lol! Actually, it should say, "No Kids, No Mark Night Out". Mark stayed home with the kids while my sisters, brother and I took my dad out to celebrate Fathers Day, just a little late! He knew our plan: to go into Boston for dinner, then to go out for a sunset cruise in the Harbor to see the tall ships. I don't remember the last time, if any, that all the kids went out alone with my dad. So it was an especially fun night. It's funny, we live so close to the city, but we barely ever go in just to visit. For me, it's usually to the hospital, blah, and if it's not that, it's to go to something: a show, a game or a nice dinner. Fun stuff for sure, but it's always planned and on a timeline. It would be fun, every now and then, to go in just to hang out and decide what to do when we are there. It's a nice city, in my opinion. I need to take advantage of it!

But anyway, we all finished our day early and drove in together. We ate on the deck at Joe's American Bar and Grill, laughed at stupid stories that only we would find funny and got a call from our missing sibling, PJ, who is still out on assignment for work. After that, we took our walk to the ship and went for our cruise. It was a blast! We always have the kids with us, so as you can imagine, just not holding one, or two in my case, makes a huge difference! I don't think I stopped talking the whole time (sorry Michelle!). Times like these makes you remember what life was like before your own kids, before your husbands even. You sometimes forget that you were a silly little kid once yourself, with brothers and sisters that were your best friends way before you had your own.  That you were a little newborn, being held and adored by your parents, with the same intense passion that you love your own.  And you tend to forget that that love, that friendship, that family bond will always be there, even as you are beginning to build a new one with your own children and husband. But one thing to always remember: your parents will never forget who you are to them.  The sparkle in their eye, the siblings they raised, the loves of their lives.  We have to do this more often guys.  To reminisce and relive the past.  The awesome past that mom and dad gave to us.  


(iPhone photo's)



The man of the night

Michelle and I

Dad with Kevin

Love
        
 Around the Harbor
I was taking the picture :(
 Dad with Tina
 with Michelle
 with Me

No comments:

Post a Comment